Friday, October 16, 2009

Too soon

This really caught me off guard...


One evening in early September K was complaining about her tooth hurting and honestly I passed it off because I didn't really think much about it. The next morning she came up complaining it hurt to eat so I asked her which tooth, stuck my finger in there and it started wiggling. YIKES, I thought! There is NO WAY I am old enough to have a kid that is going to be losing teeth!! I was really surprised at how much it bothered me. I think there are a couple of reasons; first that is a "big kid" thing and I have little kids. Second, I've always thought that stage where kids are toothless and the next stage when the GIANT permanent teeth grow back in are so goofy looking. I've wondered what I will think of my own children...well, I'm about to find out. Will they look goofy, too? or will I not notice? We'll have to wait and see!

So one day we went to pick her up at the bus stop and I noticed she had a sticker on her shirt and knelt down to talk to her and see what it said -- I nearly freaked out.

Then she smiled at me and I did freak out! I couldn't believe it! She told me the story about how she was sitting at the journal table and just pulled her tooth out. (That's a real shocker if you know what a whimp she is!) She said she just started laughing and laughing and couldn't stop. It was so cute and I loved hearing her tell me about it but a big part of me was sad I wasn't there. I guess this is the beginning of me not being there!

1 comment:

Darilyn said...

Heidi has lost 5 teeth during school hours. So you will probably have more stickers on her shirt.